XO2® Tough Shield is a super hard and tough water based polyurethane floor sealer for use on almost all sealable porous indoor surfaces. If you are looking for an extremely durable and low maintenance finish for sealing concrete or natural stone, XO2® Tough Shield is the solution. It can be used as an all in one floor sealer finish or as a base coat before applying an indoor buffable super high shine finish. XO2® Tough Shield is the ideal low maintenance solution for floors where buffing will not happen regularly or at all.
Where to use.
XO2® Tough Shield can be used as a one step or base coat floor sealer that provides long lasting protection on many different porous indoor and outdoor surfaces including:
• Concrete (Plain, stenciled and painted)
• Granite (Honed or textured only)
• Hotels, Casinos, Resorts, Apartments, Motel.
• Schools, Universities, Colleges, Child Care Centres.
• Workplaces, Offices, Warehouses, Manufacturing.
• Hospitals, Aged Care Centres, Medical Clinics.
• Supermarkets, Shopping Centres, Retail Shops, Showrooms.
• Community Centres, Clubs, Halls, Residential Homes.
• Function Centres, Restaurants, Cafes, Pubs.
Where not to use XO2® Tough Shield…
XO2® Tough Shield is not suitable for sealing ceramic tiles, porcelain tiles, glazed tiles, some non-porous surfaces and some surfaces with certain existing topical sealers or waxes.
How to use.
1. Test first. All surfaces are different. Allow 24 hours curing time before assessing the sample area for suitability.
2. Prepare the surface. Dust mop or vacuum the surface. If required, strip any existing surface coatings with Naughty & Nice floor stripper (for stripping water based floor sealers), or scrub/cut back the surfaces with a product like Too Easy or Bonza. Ensure the surface is completely 100% dry, clean and free of any contamination, chemical, dust or residue. Any stains or soiling should be removed using a suitable process prior to sealing. Buff the surface, then dust mop the surface ready for the first coat.
3. For a one product process, apply 3-6 coats undiluted, lightly (very thinly) and evenly to the surface using either a microfibre flat mop or poly cotton mop. Apply your coats in a figure eight motion making sure every part of the surface is covered evenly. For a base coat indoors, apply 2-3 coats followed by 3-4 coats of Blockbuster for a high gloss finish. Wait for the surface to be completely dry before applying the next coat.
For best results do not buff or scrub the floor for a minimum of 24 hours after application.
Coverage will depend on the texture and porosity of the surface. As you build coats, your coverage will increase (the floor sealer will go further). Coverage rates are usually between 35-80m² per litre per coat. For commercial floors, it is recommended to apply 2-6 coats of Tough Shield when using it as a one step sealer. If using Tough Shield as an indoor base coat only, 2-3 coats are required followed by 3-4 coats of Blockbuster (high gloss finish).
Tough Shield is a slower drying product than traditional water based sealer finishes. This is a good thing and is why Tough Shield is the toughest in its class. Allow a minimum of 60 minutes drying time between coats in normal weather conditions. Drying times will depend on airflow, climate, temperature, humidity, surface texture, thickness of coat etc. Longer periods of time may be required in certain circumstances, ie initial coats. The use of fans, air movers, dehumidifiers and air conditioners will speed up the drying process but remember to turn them off during application. Never apply another coat of sealer before the surface is completely 100% tack free and dry.
• Final buffing is not required as Tough Shield will produce its low sheen gloss off the mop.
• To avoid the risk of contamination, discard your applicator/mop after every job.
• Cleaning up of other accessories can be done via a scourer and water.
Tough Shield's slip resistance is exceptional in the indoor water based floor sealer classification. Regular independent slip testing is essential to monitor the ongoing floor maintenance program. XO2 gives no guarantees for the final or ongoing slip co-efficient results. Actual slip resistance will vary depending on the type of floor, surface preparation, method of application, amount of traffic, quality of daily maintenance and the type of cleaning chemicals and equipment used. For superior slip resistance results, use a floor maintainer like Clean, Grip & Shine, which contains anti-slip waxes once or twice a week between regular cleans.
How to maintain a floor sealed with Tough Shield...
1. Vacuum or dust mop the surface to remove all dry debris and dust.
2. Mop the surface with Bobby Dazzler (80:1) with an XO2 microfibre mopping system.
or for larger areas...
Scrub the floor using an automatic scrubber dryer with Bobby Dazzler (80:1) and a White Natural Fibre floor pad.
Daily (in high traffic areas) or when necessary…
Buff the surface with an ultra high speed polishing machine and a white natural fibre floor pad. Tough Shield is machine burnishable from 250rpm to 2000rpm.
Weekly, monthly or when necessary…
Mop with Clean, Grip & Shine and buff dull areas.
3, 6 or 12 monthly (depending on traffic)
Cut back worn surfaces regularly. Re-apply 1-2 coats.
Get an even longer lasting shine.
Ensure effective entrance matting is installed at all door entrances to catch the dirt and reduce maintenance.
Important! Read this before use.
1. Tough Shield does not prevent surface wear or damage. Sacrificial surface coatings protect the floor.
2. It’s the responsibility of the applicator to educate themselves on surface suitability, surface types, application rates, application techniques, all environmental aspects, performance, value and all other issues relating to the completed job and the customers specific expectations.
3. Keep bottles closed when not being used. Always cover the sealer bucket. Shake well before use.
4. Ensure you are not applying the sealer to very cold or very hot surfaces as it may affect performance. Sometimes this can appear as powdering, flaking or stickiness on the floor not long after application. If you live in a colder climate wait until the warmer months before you seal your floor.
5. Tough Shield is not suitable for sealing any kind of non-porous surfaces including porcelain or polished granite floor tiles.
6. Texture and porosity of a surface may affect the shine, gloss and slip resistance of the final result.