Keeping your leather protected and looking its best has never been easier. Whether you are a leather care professional, in-house cleaning department, or home user (Prosumer!), this system is designed for you. We have developed a 2-step process for cleaning leather like a pro and keeping it at its best. The cool part is that we have made it quick and simple so that anyone can do it!
What you need
Here's a list of supplies you will need to clean, restore and protect leather like a pro...
• Bottle of Leather Cleaner - Professional Leather Cleaning Shampoo Concentrate.
• Bottle of Leather Lover - Professional Leather Conditioner, Restorer & Protector.
• Cleaning Bucket. It's good to have 2 bucket when you are cleaning leather. One for your Leather Cleaner solution and the other for clean water.
• Clean White Towelling Rags. Microfibre cloths are great too!
• Soft leather cleaning brush.
• Vacuum cleaner.
• A little bit of elbow grease, but not too much.
Step 1: How to clean leather
If the leather is brand new, you can skip this step. Go straight to Step 2. For other cases, let's get rid of the grub and give the leather some TLC.
1. Test first
Always test the product in an inconspicuous area prior to use. Look for loss of colour, gloss or darkening. Inspect the rest of the leather carefully for cracks, cuts, stains, burns or worn areas. Any imperfection where the bare leather is exposed may darken on treatment. Advise the leather owner of any concerns before proceeding. Some damage to leather is permanent and replacement is required.
Vacuum the leather to remove any dust or loose surface soil.
3. Dilute (add water to) the Leather Cleaner concentrate
Dilute at 5:1 (5 parts water to 1 part Leather Cleaner) into a suitable clean bucket. That's 200mL of Leather Cleaner concentrate per Litre of water.
4. Soak a white towel or rag
Soak a clean white towel rag or microfibre cloth in the solution and squeeze out excess liquid to avoid drips.
5. Apply (and agitate if necessary)
Apply onto the leather gently in a circular motion. A soft brush designed for leather is recommended to agitate the stitching and any textured leather surfaces.
6. Wipe with clean and damp rag or cloth
Soak a separate clean white towel rag in clean water and squeeze out excess water. Then apply it to the leather and wipe the shampoo and soils off in a gentle circular motion. It is important to clean off any residue so you may need to do this step twice or until all residue is removed.
7. Towel dry
8. Repeat the above steps if necessary
Repeat the process if the leather is still showing any soil or dirt.
Step 2: How to condition, restore & protect leather
Now we are onto the easy step, and the most satisfying one too!
We are going to apply Leather Lover to the leather. Leather Lover is designed to restore leather to its soft, supple and fresh appearance and feel. It rejuvenates the natural oils in the leather and replenishes them. Mild conditioning agents ensure that the leather is effectively softened making it last longer, and making it feel smoother. Leather Lover protects the leather and helps the leather to resist scratches, cuts and scuffing.
Leather Lover is a professional-grade product for fully pigmented, rawhide and nubuck leather surfaces. It is super easy to use and highly effective on leather lounge suites, leather upholstery, automotive interiors, handbags, jackets, shoes and boots.
Let's get into it and show you how to use it...
Leather Lover is ready to use so do not dilute it.
1. Test first
Always test the product in an inconspicuous area prior to use. Look for loss of colour, gloss or darkening. Inspect the rest of the leather carefully for cracks, cuts, stains, burns or worn areas. Any imperfection where the bare leather is exposed may darken on treatment. Advise the leather owner of any concerns before proceeding.
Vacuum the leather to remove dust or any loose surface soil (if you have not done Step 1).
3. Clean first if leather is dirty
If the leather is dirty, clean it first using Leather Cleaner. That is Step 1 so you should have already done this!
4. Shake Leather Lover well
Shake the bottle well before use.
5. Apply to a clean dry surface
Apply liberally to the leather with a clean white cloth working into the leather.
6. Allow to soak then wipe away
Allow the Leather Lover to soak in for 10 –15 minutes then wipe away excess with a clean white cloth.
Handy Tips & Leather Cleaning Hacks
• Shake the bottles of Leather Cleaner and Leather Lover well before use.
• Always test first in an inconspicuous area before using any cleaning solution. Play it safe, especially when you use a product for the first time. Better to be safe than sorry.
• Always work from the bottom of the object to the top. Avoid any solution runs. Gently clean a small area of leather at a time. Pay special attention to the removal of old soiling from stitches, creases and corners.
• Wipe up any spills on the leather immediately with an absorbent sponge or cloth.
• Always avoid harsh or heavy, scrubbing or rubbing of leather surfaces.
• Clean leather regularly to ensure the build-up of grime, sweat and body oils is limited, especially on armrests, headrests, under legs and cushions. Heavy build-up and lack of maintenance can cause permanent and irreversible damage to the leather.
• Do not use any solvents, oils, ammonia, chemicals, varnishes, abrasive cleaners, products containing silicone or any other product not specifically designed to maintain leather surfaces.
• Keep sharp or potentially damaging objects away from the leather.
• For optimum leather care results, keep leather out of direct sunlight and away from extreme heat conditions.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Will Leather Lover change or darken the colour of the leather until the surface has dried?
Yes. Applying Leather Lover to leather surfaces can temporarily darken the colour. The leather material in almost all cases will return to its original colour once the product has dried.
2. Is Leather Cleaner and Leather Lover safe to use on a regular basis?
Yes. Leather Cleaner and Leather Lover can be used on a regular basis. This is particularly helpful when working with super old hardened leather that needs some regular love to bring it back to its best.
3. Is the XO2 leather care system pet-friendly?
Yes. Just make sure you keep your pets off and away from the general area when you are cleaning. If you have pets, you already know this :)
4. How long will the Leather Lover conditioner, restorer & protector last?
This will depend on the amount and type of use the leather gets. In general, leather cleaning professionals are recommending
Leather Lover as an annual treatment for residential applications and two times per annum for commercial applications.
Thanks for reading this leather care article. We hope you got something good out of it. Please get in touch if you have any questions or need a hand with anything else.
Have a good one!