We all know looking after your window cleaning equipment is a good idea. Well maintained equipment and tools last longer, work better and don’t break as often.
I hope these tips don’t make me sound like a nagging parent but here goes.
If you maintain your window cleaning squeegees and equipment well and replace the parts when needed, you can expect many years of great service from quality cleaning tools. When you care for your equipment, you will get better results faster. And you impress the one person that matters the most - your client.
Your professional window cleaning equipment will perform best when it is looked after and treated with some tender loving care.
Doing it the easy way
Here are some easy tips on maintaining and caring for your professional window cleaning equipment:
1. Window scraper maintenance and care
• The window scraper cover should be kept on when the tool is not used.
• Change scraper blades every 1-2 days.
Handy Tip: “I’m not sure if my scraper blade needs replacing. How do I know if it is time?”
If you are not sure, change the blade. It’s better to be safe than sorry, and the cost of one replacement scraper blade is nothing compared to the embarrassment of permanently damaging a window.
2. Window washer maintenance and care
• Remove covers once a week and wash in soap and warm water.
• Only hang them to dry in a shaded place out of direct sunlight.
• Do not dry your window washers in the dryer.
• Don’t use fabric softener when laundering window washers.
• Check that the ends of the window washer are in good condition.
• Change your replaceable washer sleeve regularly.
• Wash a new washer sleeve before the first use to remove any lint.
3. Window squeegee maintenance and care
• Store your window squeegee in a cool place out of direct sunlight. Light, heat and dry air can cause its rubber to deteriorate faster.
• Always store the squeegee with the rubber side facing up. If you let it rest on a surface, such as a shelf or bucket bottom, it is only a matter of time before the rubber is nicked or damaged.
• Clean and dry your squeegee after use.
• If you leave your squeegee in the window cleaning bucket, ensure the rubber is not touching the container.
• Check to ensure the swivel mechanism on your handle is adjusted properly and in good working order.
• Check if your squeegee channels are perfectly straight.
• Turn your replacement squeegee rubber over after 3-4 hours of use (a window squeegee rubber has 2 sides), and completely replace the window squeegee rubber every 6-8 hours of continual use. Most professional window cleaners will use a new squeegee rubber every morning and turn the squeegee rubber over after lunch depending on the work load.
4. Extension pole maintenance and care
• Check that the extension pole joiners between the sections are not tightened too much as this wears them out.
• Ensure the pole grip and end adapter is in good condition.
5. Cloth and rag maintenance and care
• Have lots of clean dry cloths and/or rags ready at the start of each job
• Do not use fabric conditioner when cleaning microfibre cloths.
Do you have anymore tips or advice for keeping window cleaning equipment in tip top shape for longer? If you do, please get in touch, we’d love to hear your thoughts.
Our customer care team is always ready to help with any of your window cleaning product questions or inquiries during business hours. The number to call is 1300 123 499, or you can check out XO2's range of window cleaning equipment online.
Happy window cleaning!
- How To Use A Window Scraper On Glass And Avoid Expensive Scratches
- How To Remove Hard Water Mineral Stains On Windows & Glass
- How To Use A Window Squeegee Like A Pro
- How To Use A Large Window Squeegee On Glass
- Clean Windows Like A Professional With These 7 Essentials Items
- How To Hold A Window Squeegee Like An Expert
- How To Eliminate Streaks When Cleaning Windows With A Squeegee
- How To Get Your Window Washing Detergent Right Before You Start Cleaning?
- Are You Making These 5 Mistakes When Cleaning With A Window Squeegee?
- How To Clean Difficult Windows And Glass In An Instant
- How To Wash Or Scrub Glass Windows
- The Expert Window Cleaning Extension Pole Guide
- 8 Simple Steps To Clean Windows Like A Professional